I know those of you with a Harris Teeter are probably saying, isn’t this post a little late? Well, if it hadn’t been for the hours working on the Harris Teeter matchups, I would have never been inspired to write this.
What is a “Coupon Event”?
I would consider any sale that is bigger than normal a coupon event. Most coupon events involve some kind of doubling or tripling of coupons, but they don’t really have to. I think of the Kroger “Mega Sales” as a coupon event too. Coupon Events are huge sales where there are usually free items after coupons.
How do I know about a “Coupon Event”?
Many times bloggers and coupon forums have advance notice that an event is coming. Some stores also send out ad previews. (My readers can always ask me if I know about an upcoming event.)
How should I prepare to save the most money?
- Find a great coupon matchup list before you go to the store. It helps tremendously to go in prepared. Using my list and coupons, I can shop at triple or super double coupons in a about 15 minutes! (I have to, to make it to school on time!) :)
- Gather or clip more coupons than you think you need for the first trip. If the coupon event has a limit (like 20 doubled coupons, etc.), gather about twice as many as you think you will use on the first trip. Sometimes prices change or quantities are limited, so it is great to have a list of back-up items you want to buy.
- Go early. Literally. I know you will think I am crazy here, but most of the time on triple or super double coupon events I shop before school on the first day. My area has a lot of couponers, so I go early (7:00-7:15) on the first day of the event. If I don’t by the time school is out, they are sold out of the best deals.
- Prioritize. If there is a limit on the sale items or coupons you can use, you may not be able to pick up everything you want in the first trip. I always decide which items I think will be out of stock (probably the freebies and best deals), and I get those items in my first transaction. Then I make a second (and sometimes third) trip for the other items I want.
- Find out when your store restocks shelves. Are they out of an item you really wanted? Ask a cashier or manager when they plan to restock. Make your second trip on that day.
What advice do you have for shopping at big Coupon Events?
Do you have a Thrifty idea? Did you save a ton of money this week? Do you have a Thrifty deal you want to share?
If so, please leave a comment or link up below!
If possible, please leave a link back to Coupon Teacher so that we can all share ideas. A link back is not required, just appreciated!